Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Happy Independence Day!

Our National Anthem is supposed to be 52 seconds long, thank you very much.

Don't get me wrong. I admire A. R. Rahman tremendously. I think he's a brilliant music composer (although he has lost his touch in recent years). Rang De Basanti was one of the most brilliant movie soundtracks ever - I still get goosebumps when I hear Khoon Chala. And I loved what he did with Vande Mataram ten years ago.

But I do wish he'd left our National Anthem alone. The idea's great, and the kind of lineup of singers he's got is mindblowing (although, admittedly, I don't know enough about most of them). However, I happen to belong to that breed of people who like to stand up every time the Anthem is played, if not sing along. And it's really quite annoying to see these videos played on television every few minutes, in the middle of whichever weird show that I might be watching at the time.

*sigh* I tend to get emotional around Independence Day.

But take a look... what do you think?


No comments: