If the theme for 2015 was primarily the brother’s wedding, 2016 was simply about travel. And a whole lot of investment in the US elections. That’s really it.
The professional life was good, but the question of what’s next is beginning to rear its ugly head. The personal life was pretty even-keeled. Time was spent with family, some time was spent with friends back home. Some friends who I hadn’t met in absolutely ages were caught up with. Friends here became parents, which changes the tone of your social life quite dramatically. Two friends informed me within a month of each other that they were getting divorces. Did I say even-keeled?
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Went on a vacation that was longer than a weekend, and wasn’t with or to family. And only when I was packing for this trip did it occur to me that in three decades, I had never actually done this.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Some, yes. Some, partially. Some, no.
I haven’t actually put into words any intentions for 2017, but I probably should at some point.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Hah. Yes. We went 3 for 3 on this one. My social circle these days consists almost entirely of new mothers.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What places did you visit?
Ooh. My favourite question every year.
SF (twice), LA, Las Vegas, Boston (thrice), Missisipi, San Antonio (twice, thrice if you count 20 miutes of transit time at the airport), Asheville, Portland (OR), Alabama, WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER (Orlando), Austin.
Colombia, Japan, England.
Delhi and Kolkata.
This was a fantastic year, travel-wise.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 30 – visiting WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER.
But the most depressing day of the year? November 8.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Meh. The amount of travel I managed to pack in?
9. What was your biggest failure?
I gained back all the weight I had lost in 2015. Seriously. Someone throw a rock at me.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had a really bad attack of the viral in July, and knicked myself on old rusted metal in October (which also meant I had to get a tetanus booster). Otherwise, no.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Bought some furniture this year that I had been thinking about for a while… that, I guess?
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and/or depressed?
Umm, did you track any of the US election cycle?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Travel. Apartment stuff – only half of which was needed, really.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I had goosebumps the day Hillary Clinton accepted the Democratic nomination.
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
Uh… Fight song?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
A bit of both, I think. It’s been a pretty even-keeled year.
18. Thinner or fatter?
Fatter. See #9.
19. What do you wish you’d done more of?
20. What do you wish you’d done less of?
21. How will you be spending Christmas?
I had a very nice introverted weekend of not doing anything, and catching up on Shonda Rhimes’ shows, thank you very much.
22. Did you fall in love in 2016?
Does Seth Meyers count?
23. How many one-night stands?
My mother reads this blog, people.
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
The Good Place and This is Us. I keep watching Designated Survivor because of the twists, but it’s trying too hard.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
Considering I read just 7 books that I could actually admit to on Goodreads, I really don’t feel qualified to answer that question.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Nothing, really. I did however remember how much I love Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy because the Mirzya soundtrack has been played on loop for the last couple of months.
28. What did you want and get?
Both the Japan trip and the Orlando trip were something I’d been wanting to do for ages, and they finally happened.
29. What did you want and not get?
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Kapoor & Sons. Jungle Book.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
31. my parents were visiting, and we flew to Boston to spend the weekend with the brother. ‘twas nice :)
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A different result on November 8.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
34. What kept you sane?
I’m not sure I stayed sane this year, to be honest…
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
The gal pals, this year.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I honestly can’t think of a single person I met in 2016 who could qualify for this.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
I’m me. I’m an introvert who finds it incredibly hard to be with people, and that’s an issue for some people. But that’s who I am.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Ik nadi thi, dono kinaare thaam ke behti thi, ik nadi thi…