Friday, July 11, 2014

Where I try not to judge you, but do anyway

I have a feeling this post is going to come out as utterly obnoxious and condescending and judgmental and all sorts of things, and I'm going try to articulate my thoughts in a way that isn't, but you have been warned anyway. And now that we have that disclaimer out of the way, let's try to articulate those thoughts.

I'm not - I'd like to believe - one of those people who put up posts or photos of everything that's happening to me on Facebook; that's what Twitter and Instagram are for, for me. My posts, more often than not, are about things that irritate me, or articles I find and read and think are interesting, or, as someone pointed out recently, when it rains. What can I say, I love baarish.

It's not that I don't post photos either on Facebook - I posted photos from a friend's wedding less than a month ago. And I do take a lot of photos with the intention of posting them, especially when I travel, but the whole process of uploading them into an album is so tedious that I usually end up not doing it.

But. I got a haircut yesterday. And I posted "before" and "after" photos on Facebook. And in the twelve-ish hours between posting them and starting to write this post, they've become one of my most "liked" posts on FB. Possibly only after my graduation photo from last year, and I think it has now beaten the post about my parents' 30th anniversary.

And it makes me wonder, is this what people want to see? What I look like before and after I chop off ten inches of hair to send to Locks of Love? So all the articles about women and politics and puppies that I post, which get a couple of "likes" (if any) - people just roll their eyes and scroll past them? Even the puppies?

Don't get me wrong, I'm as compulsive a liker as anyone. I like posts - all the time. But I feel (hope) I do balance out the cute baby photos and the articles, because hello, they mean something.

And it's not like I need validation or a gazillion likes to continue posting. I see it on others' posts too - the obnoxious ones whining about the whims of vegan friends, or the ones humble-bragging about how blessed they are to have a free weekend after working SO hard all week that their client gushed with praise will get a lot more response than some of the really brilliant articles that get shared by others.

And at the risk of sounding utterly judgmental, as you were warned, it makes me feel like Louis CK has a point when he calls us the crappiest generation ever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Been an on and off reader of your blog - commenting for the first time. There's no point to this comment - you've been given a heads up :). Facebook as a medium of communication has always had two consistent features - vain and superficial. Vain from the users POV and superficial from the readers POV. Doesn't mean that the members are such, but the medium is where they tend to showcase that behaviour the most. An in-person conversation about the same set of topics as your posts with the same set of people would (in my opinion) most likely elicit the exact opposite response as you observed here. For most FB appears to be the one place where they post to showcase what they percieve as a good thing about them and their "friends" tend to be "supportive" through likes and comments.

P.S. - Not a big FB user myself but whatever I've posted seem to fall into the "vain" category,

a traveller said...

I realize that - it's not like I haven't had conversations about these topics in person. But it's also interesting how when I'll sometimes quote something from an article I may have shared, I'll be asked where I got that from, when you know the article was ignored when actually shared.

Ah, Facebook.

But thank you for reading and commenting =)