Saturday, November 03, 2007

The fulfillment of a childhood dream...

When I was a kid, we had a wedding hall near our house. Every time a wedding was held there, or during Diwali and other festival, it would be lit up with those simple non-flashy rows of yellow lights, which look so very pretty. You know the type, don't you?

And I used to love looking at those lights, and always wanted us to put up similar lights, but does anyone ever listen to a six-year-old? Besides, Diwali's not really our festival, so we never bothered putting up lights anyway.

Anyway, when we finally moved into this house nearly five years ago, and it was decided that we should buy lights for Diwali, I figured we'd finally get those nice yellow lights I'd always wanted. But no, instead my mother and brother went and got these colourful lights which, granted, looked nice, but they weren't the yellow lights I'd always wanted.

So anyway, last year those lights finally gasped their last breath, and this year I got to choose the lights. Which means our house has been lit with rows of yellow lights, and is looking extremely cool. Thank you.

3 comments:

R said...

I like the yellow lights :) but are they the pipe lights? I think those look the best. Non flashing types

a traveller said...

Yers that is exactly what they are. Very exciting 'tis.

susheel said...

Congrats!! :-)

Here in south India, we decorate our houses with mud lamps. Very few people use Electric lights.

Genrally there is only one bright electric bulb put up at the center of the home. This is called as "Akash butti" in the native lingo (meaning, lamp for the sky)

one thing common both in North and south is - I am sure - the immese sense of Joy that Dewali gives.