Wednesday, December 31, 2014

And so another year went by

Duuuuudes. Another year, wot? Where and how do these just flash by? Wasn't it just the other day I was telling you guys how this is going to be annual tradition for myself - these end of the year summary things? Well, here it is...


1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Did a solo travel weekend. Started a group blog.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Does it count as new year's resolutions if you made them sometime in February? I made a public declaration - or as public as this blog is, anyway - that I would blog at least twice a month, and by Jove I did. Gimme a prize, someone. I also kinda, sorta promised myself I would travel at least once a month this year, which I kinda, sorta did - see #5 below.
The plan for 2015 is to stick to these two. There was also a third thing I wanted to resolve to do, but I can't remember what it was, so I'm guessing it was super important.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No one close, no.

5. What places did you visit?
Ooh, I'm going to like answering this one. Let's do it by month, 'kay?
January: Los Angeles.
February: Nada, but a friend visited one weekend, so I'm counting that.
March: Went to India for two weeks, where I was mainly home in Delhi/Gurgaon, but also managed to sneak in two days in Kolkata to see the grandmother.
April: Three back to back weekends of travel happened here - New York, San Francisco, and my one-year school reunion. Eventful month, this was.
May: Nada again, but if you average out my travel in the first four months, no biggie, right?
June: New Jersey, for a friend's wedding.
July: San Francisco again, over the 4th of July weekend.
August: One quick day trip to Austin, and then DC over the Labor Day weekend, which yes, counts as August because I came back on the Sunday.
September: A recruiting trip back to the school.
October: One overnight work trip to Chicago, and then two weekend trips with the mother - New York, and Chicago.
November: I am totally going to count the fact that I left the States on November 29, and spent the 30th in London.
December: Two weeks in Delhi/Gurgaon for my visa stamping nonsense, and managed to finally - finally, I say - make the long-planned weekend trip to Amritsar.
Not bad, wot? 2015 - let's try and build up cities I haven't been to before, 'kay?

6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Again, will power. Specifically, the will power to stop watching TV and get in some, you know, exercise or something.

7. What date from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Hmmm, I dunno about this one. Things happened - things I will not forget, and episodes that really are etched in the memory. But I don't think there's a specific date for any of the really important stuff.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I changed roles at the job, and it was all due to my ability to be more social and network and stuff. Go, me!

9. What was your biggest failure?
To get fitter, I think.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Hah. You bet. The trip to school in April was accompanied by ridiculous amount of pain. I stabbed my hand in August while trying to open a box from Amazon, and then just this past weekend, I had the most spectacular and most elegant fall you've ever seen in a taco shop in Texas. Ow.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My Christmas tree. It's so pretty, y'all.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
I don't know. It's depressing to realise that this is the question that stumps me the most.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and/or depressed?
Other than almost every politician, you mean?

14. Where did most of your money go?
Paying off my student loan.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Something(s) I'm not allowed to talk about on my blog. Hee.

16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
I don't think there's any one song, to be honest.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Pretty much the same, really. It's been a pretty even-keeled year.

18. Thinner or fatter?
Ugh. Way fatter.

19. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Been more active. Cooked. Read.

20. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Hmmm. Spent money, maybe? I suppose I should say watched TV.

21. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent it cleaning my apartment so that a friend arriving for the weekend the next day wouldn't faint with horror, and then went out for dinner.

22. Did you fall in love in 2014?
Nope.

23. How many one-night stands?
Too many to count.

24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Between January and March, I did a marathon watch of every television show Aaron Sorkin wrote. The man's a sexist and an asshat, but I will say, his shows are good.
The list of current TV shows continues to grow longer - so it's probably a blessing that the comedies I fall in love with every year inevitably get cancelled.
I was very skeptical of John Oliver taking for The Daily Show over the summer, but I am so, so glad he did, because he was brilliant. And ever since Last Week Tonight started, he has slowly but steadily started replacing Jon Stewart as the love of my life as well.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope. Well, certain colleagues are a pain in the ass, but otherwise, no.

26. What was the best book you read?
Er... See #19. However, I did thoroughly enjoy both the Robert Galbraith books.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I don't think I discovered anyone/anything new this year.

28. What did you want and get?
Professionally, I wanted to change roles, and that worked out. Personally, I got a lot of family and friends-back-home time this year, but it's never really enough, is it?
I wanted to write this year, and I did. I wanted to travel this year, and I did. So yay me.

29. What did you want and not get?
Nothing comes to mind. The thing about 2014 is it was very... even keeled, compared to previous years. No major life changing moments, and so not much to regret.

30. What was your favourite film of this year?
I loved Finding Fanny. The Captain America movie was awesome, and I loved how much fun Agents of Shield became after the movie came out (because let's face it, it was mind-numbingly boring before that).
I didn't particularly love the final Hobbit movie, but I'm so glad that it released a week early in India and that I was able to see it with the father and brother, rather than friends I have to drag with me who then have no idea what's going on.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was home. Parents brought out cake and gifts at midnight, S came over for lunch, then I met the gal pals for supper, and finally had a late night second dinner with the parents. There was also drama, which made it simultaneously the worst birthday I've ever had, as well as one of the best. And that's all you need to know about it.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
The ability to apparate. Or use a portkey. I'm not fussy.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
Do you promise not to laugh? I got more comfortable with using make up this year. That was my big fashion concept in 2014, seriously. Heretofore, all I used was eyeliner. I now own foundation, and primer, and blush, and whatnot. I'm still not sure I use all of them correctly, but I no longer feel I'm looking like a freak, and no one has taken me aside to say I'm looking like a clown, so I'm calling this one a success.

34. What kept you sane?
Loved ones. Who also drove me insane, but whatevs.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
John Oliver.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Elections, man, elections. This has been a crappy, crappy year for me politically.

37. Who did you miss?
Loved ones.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
My current friend circle is mostly people I either met/got to know towards the end of 2013, or early 2014. So them, I suppose.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
I have friends. I can ask for help if I need it.
I thought I'd gotten better at this, but when a friend yelled at me for not asking him to take me to Urgent Care when I stabbed my hand, I realised maybe I'm still not that good at it yet.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Kaisee teri khudgarzee, Na dhoop chune na chhaanv
Kaisee teri khudgarzee, Kisi thaur tike na paanv

Ban liyaa apnaa paighambar, Tar liyaa tu saat samandar
Phir bhee sookhaa mann ke andar, Kyoon reh gaya

No comments: