Saturday, March 01, 2014

Thoughts I had while watching Highway

I think these are by and large in the sequence I had them, but some might not be, plus I'm pretty sure I've forgotten some.

I'm fairly certain this is pretty spoiler-free, but tread with caution?
  • Oh good the UTV dance. I still miss the fingers doing the rangoli thungummy though.
  • This Window Seat Films sketch is the cutest thingummy for a production house I've seen in a long time.
  • I've clearly spent too much time in Amreeka, because the opening montage in the movie is from the viewpoint of the driver's seat, and is absolutely gorgeous, yet all I could think was: that's... not the right side of the road.
  • Wow that fiance's a pansy. (Sidebar: you would think there would be a better video of that beautiful line available on YouTube. I am disappoint.)
  • Ugh creepy guy pretending to be nice and helpful ugh.
  • It's a good thing this movie has subtitles. Being from Gurgaon obviously hasn't done much for my Haryanvi comprehension skills.
  • Alia Bhatt has gorgeous hair. 
  • Ugh creepy guy ugh.
  • I'm very sure that scene was filmed on the main road near my home.
  • A review I read a few days ago talked about Veera - Alia's character - having a "secret from her past". I was bang on with my guess as to what that secret would be. 
  • The jump from being terrified of your kidnapper to confiding your biggest secret to him to dancing in the wind seemed too abrupt.
  • Can I bash the heads of these two idiots sitting in front of me? Maybe that'll get them to stop talking.
  • Where does the second kidnapper (Adooda? was that his name?) keep disappearing?
  • Excellent casting, I have to say. Adooda and Tonk, especially.
  • That dance scene - love how the entire hall erupted in laughter when the bhangra started.
  • India's quite beautiful, no?
  • On the other hand, the progression of emotions shown by Mahabir - Randeep Hooda's character - seemed far more natural.
  • I can't remember another movie where I watched actors cry so realistically. 
  • Okay I might need to stop my friend from punching these two idiots. But seriously, shut up. It's not your living room.
  • I'm not quite sure what's going on right now with this QSQT-like living in the mountains scenario. I like movies to have an identifiable end goal, and I'm not seeing one right now.
  • I'm not sure why I don't love Randeep Hooda. The man is gorgeous, can act, and does interesting movies. What exactly is it about him that doesn't stick?
  • Holy crap, I did not see that coming.
  • Wait, the movie's not over? What could they possibly do after that?
  • Ah okay, I see where this is going.
  • Huh. Okay, I can live with this ending. Not overly dramatic, and largely believable. 
I have to say, after watching Hasee toh Phasee two weeks ago, and now this movie, the question begs to be asked: was Student of the Year really the only option Siddharth Malhotra and Alia Bhatt had for their debut? They deserved so much better. Both can act, which I had suspected when I saw SOTY, but am convinced of after their subsequent movies.

Well done, Imitiaz Ali. I am inclined to forgive the hash that was Love Aaj Kal. I still don't plan to watch Rockstar, however.



No comments: