Sunday, June 17, 2007

A touch of irony

In the same week that everyone's getting super excited about the fact that India's probably about get its first female President, which of course shows how cool women are and how progressive India is and has absolutely nothing to do with bloody politics, comes the news that this chap in Haryana has been aborting female foetuses simply because the girl child is unwanted in states like Punjab and Haryana. Interesting, don't you think, how progressive we are?
Hell.

5 comments:

R said...

But this woman... isn't she the one also promoting pardah? I'm all for express yourself and things and everyone's allowed an opinion, but I have my doubts about pardah. However, for all I know, I'm the one who's wrong.

a traveller said...

Er... I thought she was saying purdah should be abolished? Which is a tad weird, considering she always keeps her head covered.

R said...

TOI? I read that she said that pardah has it's roots in nobility and it's tradition and it was a sign of belonging to the higher classes and things.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Pratibha_Patil_ignites_a_row_over_purdah/articleshow/2132455.cms


That's what I saw.

a traveller said...

Ahem... Yers.
The artice says:
" Speaking at a function in Udaipur on Sunday, the virtual president-designate traced the origin of the purdah to the Mughal invasion. She claimed that the purdah was introduced in India to "save women from Mughal invaders". This, even as she urged for abolition of the practice."

Ziggy, Ziggy, what you do man?

R said...

So I didn't read the whole thing. Is fortunate that they are not the basis of my blog entries then :D